Segunda-feira, 14 de Março de 2005

NOTICES, by Maria João

The Hush Puppy who ate 40ft of shoes laces

Poppy the pedigree puppy got herself into a terrible tangle when she gobbled up several packets of shoelaces.
The one – year – old basset hound- the breed used to promote Hush Puppies shoes- has such a voracious appetite that she will eat almost anything.
Her owners Jimi and Joanne Stevenson are used to her scoffing crumbs of the kitchen floor and even chewing discarded gum in the street.
So when a bulk buy of a dozen pairs of laces, measuring a total of 40ft vanished from the kitchen table they knew who to blame.
They rushed her straight to their nearest pet hospital where vet Rachel Vincent found herself tied up for four hours retrieving the tangled mass.
Three laces had passed through the dog naturally, but rests were knotted together inside Puppy.
Veterinary surgeon Rachel, who works for the animal charity the PDSA, said: “It might sound funny but it was very serious. “After examining Poppy we discovered a condensed mass in her abdomen so we prepared her for immediate surgery”.
She added: “Although we were expecting to recover more shoelaces we were amazed to find 21 individual laces in her stomach. The laces could have proved fatal at any moment, especially if they had wrapped around her internal organs. Luckily there was no permanent damage”.
Factory worker Jimi, 33, bought the pet for his four sons – Bradley, 10, Michael, 8, Dylan, 5, and Kyle, 2 – after another dog had died.
He said: “We call her the Mop, because she’ll mop up anything that’s dropped on the floor. In the summer I was forever trying to get chewing gum out of her mouth that she’d picked up off the pavement. When the laces went missing and we saw the empty packet on the floor I knew what had happened. We waited a little to see if she would pass them but I started to worry and took her to the vet to be on the safe side – and I’m glad we did. We could have lost her”.
Three days after the operation Jimi and Joanne were able to take Poppy back home to Lemington, Newcastle upon Tyne, and she has made a full recovery.
Jimi said: “The kids made a big fuss of her and we’re so glad she’s OK. But from now on we’ll be careful about what we leave on the kitchen table”.
Vet Rachel said the episode should be a useful warning to other dog owners that their pets, especially young animals, can be extremely curious creatures.
She said: “dogs used their mouth as a way of exploring objects as well as eating them. Sometimes the functions get confused and a dog ends up eating the objects when it had only meant to investigate it. Dogs will get their jaws around pretty much anything that takes their fancy and it isn’t always food that attracts their attention, as his case illustrates”.
publicado por António Luís Catarino às 14:59
link do post | comentar | favorito
|

.mais sobre mim


. ver perfil

. seguir perfil

. 1 seguidor

.pesquisar

.Maio 2006

Dom
Seg
Ter
Qua
Qui
Sex
Sab
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31

.Subscrever por e-mail

A subscrição é anónima e gera, no máximo, um e-mail por dia.

.posts recentes

. Alta ansiedade do profess...

. SOBRE A METODOLOGIA E PRÁ...

. Olha!, mais uma revista s...

. DESCOBERTO CEMITÉRIO ROMA...

. ATENÇÃO A ESTE FILME HIST...

. UMA PROPOSTA DE FIM-DE-SE...

. CALENDÁRIO ESCOLAR 2005/2...

. Crianças, telemóveis e o ...

. UM FILME A NÃO PERDER: «C...

. AS MISTERIOSAS GRAVURAS G...

.arquivos

. Maio 2006

. Fevereiro 2006

. Janeiro 2006

. Dezembro 2005

. Novembro 2005

. Outubro 2005

. Setembro 2005

. Agosto 2005

. Julho 2005

. Junho 2005

. Maio 2005

. Abril 2005

. Março 2005

.favoritos

. E o homem com livros cont...

blogs SAPO

.subscrever feeds